Monday, July 29, 2013

To Be a Dad.

So, it has officially been a year since my first born, Owen was born. It has been a great year to say the least. We have had our ups and downs with him, but all in all, it has been a gift.

When my wife went into labor, It was not an easy time. She had a hard time, and it put stress on her and Owen. Regardless of this, she was a champ from beginning to end. She was in labor for nearly 10 hours before they decided to take her for a C section, and that was only after Owen's heart rate fluctuated from 22 BPM to 221BPM. They thought something had gone wrong, so they rushed her into the surgical room.

Once there, no less then 20 doctors and nurses ended up in the room with her. I was told to put on the sterile gear, and wait until it was safe to go into the room. After about 15 minutes, a nurse came out and told me that the local anesthetic that was administered, was not taking to my wife's system, and that I would have to wait 15 minutes while they tried again. If the second time didn't work, they would have to put under fully for the operation. After the second try, the doctor came out and told me that something wasn't working properly, and that they were going to place her under. As I started to get up out of the chair to join them in the room, I was abruptly stopped and told to stay in the hallway.

To that point in my life, I have not felt as much sadness, and been as scared as I was at that moment. I was going to be unable to be in the room for my son's birth, and unable to be there to hold Jenny's hand to help her through everything. I felt empty, and useless right at that moment. To the credit of the surgeon, she came out and sat next to me and advised me that they would do everything to make sure things went ok.

About twenty minutes passed, and then I heard Owen crying on the operating room, and to say I melted out of the chair to the floor was a literal depiction of what happened. The nurse came out and took my camera. and a few moments later came out with the first photos of my little man. I was so happy, not only to hear the crying and knowing he was ok, but to SEE the photos. Jenny was in the process of being taken care of, and was still out.

Another doctor came out of the room, and started talking to me about how things went. He could see the tears welling up in my eyes, and all I could get out was, "I just want to see my boy." He looked up and down the hallway, and then told me to put on my booties and hairnet. He then led me through the maze of doctors, nurses, and equipment to this little table / incubator, and my little son. He was so tiny, and had such a cone head! But he was mine. As soon as I got my hand close to him, he grabbed my finger and that was our first and most important lasting connection at that moment.

I was able to sit with him in the recovery room, waiting for Jenny to wake up after the operation. It was about an hour or so after they brought me Owen, that Jenny was rolled in and saw her son for the first time. The pure look and tears of joy were something I will never forget on her face. She was so happy, and it was pure and untainted love for that boy that she had at that moment.

We have had many highlights in Owen's first year. My parents becoming grandparents for the first time was a wonderful thing to watch. My sister coming home from England and holding Owen for the first time was amazing to see. My in-laws seeing Owen and the joy on their faces, as well as all my closest friends showing complete and utter support for us.

Back in December, when my fire department went through the horrible events that took place on Christmas Eve, I took Owen to the fire department to cheer people up as best I could. I think he did the trick as best he could, as some of the people I ran into were so thankful to have some happy innocence there at that moment. This was so true, as Owen is so oblivious to what was going on, his constant smiles were helpful.

There was his first trip on an air plane this year, to visit some extended family in Florida. The kid was a champ. We went to a baseball game, an aquarium, and Sea world. Not to mention his first time on a beach in the sand and surf. That trip was a great time, and will live on as his first vacation.

His first few teeth, his sleeping through the nights, his mumbling and smiling, all make me love him more and more. We call him "scooter" now, as he will not crawl, he just scoots along and will soon be moving right to the walking.

And finally, to keep this within a normal read...his first birthday party. The joy and love that was shared by so many people yesterday is overwhelming to say the least. I have spent the entire morning putting things together, and I am about 1/2 through the gifts showered down on my son.

From the guy who dragged the tent out of his trunk and scared the rain way, the neighbor who gave us a cooler to use and brought his chairs over the fence for people to sit. There were many others that brought chairs, games, and good times. Someone gave us 4 cases of beer to provide liquid refreshment. We had people from far and wide come up to this shindig, and we also missed some people that could not make the long trips (although they were there in spirit). To the Lindsay family member who we nearly lost 8 months ago, who came all the way to Webster for Owen's birthday, and showed me that there is always something to fight for. The most important, was the grand parents on both sides who provided the main food and dishes for the party, and love for my son.

 I do not think I could EVER write down, or say enough for the people that showed up here yesterday. I love you all in different ways, and thank you all for being who you are to Jenny, Owen and myself. We are truly blessed to have you all in our lives.

TO BE A DAD, has been wonderful. Amazing. Emotional. But most of all, to be a dad has been the best thing to ever happen to me.

Happy Birthday Owen.

No comments:

Post a Comment